Jews arrived in Merthyr Tydfil in about 1830. They most likely came because of the freedom of worship in non-conformist Wales. The first rabbi appears in about 1851. In 1870 a cemetery was opened at Cefn Coed, prior to this most burials took place in Cardiff or Swansea. The New Synagogue was built in 1872.
The Cambrian Index: The Cambrian was the first English-language newspaper to be published in Wales, running from 1804 - 1930. Swansea Library Service has a computerised index to the contents of a large number of the newspaper's issues.
Copyright © by Sherry Landa & British-Jewry. All rights reserved.
This document last modified Saturday, 25-Aug-2018 15:27:36 BST
New Jewish Small Communities:
This website has information on many aspects of Jewish life, but will be of particular interest to those whose ancestors were not in the large cities but in small communities. A List of Communities can be found here.
A site bringing together British History Sources, 1500-1900, including the Charles Booth Archive, 18th century newspapers, Old Bailey Online, London Lives, 1690-1800. Free to search although some of the resources are only available by subscription, but you can see extracts of the records.